Requirement Specific to King County
King County Local Rule LR 82(e)(1) requires every initial document (eg, a Will or a Petition for Adjudication) filed in the Superior Court to be accompanied by a special form in which the petitioner states whether the case fits within the Seattle or Kent Case Assignment Area. For probate cases, the proper area is whichever of the following two areas where the Decedent resided or, if the Decedent did not reside in King County, where any asset of the estate may be:
- Seattle Case Assignment Area. All of King County north of Interstate 90 and including all of the Interstate 90 right-of-way; all of the cities of Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah and North Bend; and all of Vashon and Maury Islands.
- Kent Case Assignment Area. All of King County south of Interstate 90 except those areas included in the Seattle Case Assignment Area.
- Case Number:
- If a Will has already been filed: Case number issued upon prior filing of Will.
- If no Will has been filed: Leave this blank. The Clerk will issue it to you.
- Case Caption:
- If a Will: Will of [Fill in Decedent’s name here], Deceased.
- If an Estate: Estate of [Fill in Decedent’s name here], Deceased.
- Area: Check whichever Area is appropriate.
- Signature of Petitioner & Date: Sign and date it.
- On 2nd page, under Probate/Guardianship:
- If a Will: Check Will Only (last box down).
- If an Estate: Check Estate (3rd box down).
Set this completed form aside for taking with you to file at Court along with either the Will (if to be filed as a Will Only) or your Petition for Adjudication.