King County Case Assignment Designation
King County Local Rule LR 82(e)(1) requires every initial pleading (eg, a Petition for Letters) filed in the Superior Court to be accompanied by a special form in which the petitioner states whether the case fits within the Seattle or Kent Case Assignment Area. For probate cases, the proper area is whichever of the following two areas where the Decedent resided or, if the Decedent did not reside in King County, where any asset of the estate may be:
- Seattle Case Assignment Area. All of King County north of Interstate 90 and including all of the Interstate 90 right-of-way; all of the cities of Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah and North Bend; and all of Vashon and Maury Islands.
- Kent Case Assignment Area. All of King County south of Interstate 90 except those areas included in the Seattle Case Assignment Area.
King County Case Assignment Designation and Case Information Cover Sheet
Complete the Form as follows:
- Case Number: Leave this blank. The Clerk will issue it to you.
- Case Caption: Estate of [Fill in Decedent’s name here], Deceased.
- Area: Check whichever Area is appropriate.
- Signature of Petitioner & Date: Sign and date it.
- On 2nd page, under Probate/Guardianship: Check Estate.
Set this completed form aside for taking with you to file at Court along with your Declaration and Oath of Notice Agent.